Search Engine Optimization, commonly referred to as SEO, is increasing the quality and quantity of traffic to your website. This is done through organic search engine results. To better understand the meaning of SEO, let’s break the definition down by gaining a better understanding of the terms used. These are:
- Quality of traffic – Only attract visitors to the website who are genuinely interested in the products that you offer or content you want them to see or interact with.
- Quantity of traffic – If you have the right people clicking through from those search engine results pages more traffic is even better.
Organic results – Organic results are any traffic coming to your website that you have not to pay for. They appear on the page naturally, rather than in the paid-for sections.
What Comes to Mind When You Think of a Search Engine?
You might think of a search engine as a website you visit to type (or speak) a question into a box and Google, Yahoo!, Bing, or whatever search engine you’re using magically replies with a long list of links to web pages that could potentially answer your question.
That’s magical. But have you considered what’s behind those incredible lists of links?
How It Works
- Google (or any search engine you’re using) has a crawler that goes out and gathers information about all the content it can find on the Internet.
- The crawlers bring all those 1s and 0s back to the search engine to build an index.
- That index is then fed through an algorithm that tries to match all that data with your query.
- With all these searches coming from different online users worldwide, it is important to capture as much as possible traffic into your site or websites.
With all the traffic, you can be able to establish new clients, leads, as well do a sale of a product or service being offered on that site, thanks to SEO technological advancements organizations are coming up with techniques to harvest more traffic to websites, for instance, SEO Brisbane is investing in a well-thought-out search strategy can improve and help you tap most of the internet traffic to your site. This will be a great advantage when it comes to your business.
Understanding How SEO Operates
All search engines use a set of rules to determine the order of pages in any given query, three core metrics stand out for search engines to evaluate the quality of a site’s content and come up with how it should rank. They are:
- Links – Links from other websites always play a key role in determining the ranking of a website in any search engine. The reason being, a link can be seen as a trust of quality from other websites, since website owners are unlikely to link to other untrustworthy sites or of poor quality. The system that is used to rank web pages is known as PageRank. For a link to be authoritative, it has to be high on the PageRank.
- Page Structure – The last core component of SEO is page structure. Because web pages are written in HTML, how the HTML code is organized can impact a search engine’s ability to evaluate a page. Including important keywords in the title, URL, headers, sub headers of the page, and making sure that a site is crawlable are actions that site owners can take to improve the SEO of their site.
- Content – Also, search engines also analyze the content of a web page to determine if it would be relevant for any given search query. A large part of SEO is in creating content whose main audience is people looking for keywords that search engine users are searching for.
The search engine optimization process involves optimizing each of these primary core components of search engine algorithms to rank higher in the search results from search engines. A stronger and diversified SEO can strengthen and diversify your site profile. As an outcome, you’ll rank higher on Search engines and this can yield some of these main benefits:
- More views
- More brand awareness
- Increase in website traffic and prospective customers
- You may not have to pay for ads
- Moving ahead of your competitors
As mentioned above, this technique is fantastic, you can use it to your advantage and possibly outshine your competitors in a particular market. Keep yourself in the loop when it comes to new trends that may come up when it comes to search engine optimization.